Funding for first-time central heating

Full funding (subject to eligibility criteria and property survey) is available for the install of first-time central heating systems through the National Grid Warm Homes Fund. The funding, administered by Affordable Warmth Solutions CIC and awarded to Herefordshire Council is available to support both urban* and rural properties.

Warm Homes Fund

If you are living in a property that doesn’t have central heating, you are likely to be eligible to get a system installed completely free of charge as part of the Warm Homes Fund.

In the vast majority of cases, heating your property with a central heating system is the most efficient way to keep your home warm, your family healthy and your energy bills low. While these systems are usually cheaper to run than alternatives (such as electric), they can be very expensive to install.

Herefordshire has a huge number of rural households, which can be very difficult to heat via traditional means. Through this funding, we are able to identify solutions that fit hard-to-heat rural properties. For households on the gas network, we can refer you to support that will help you to install free gas central heating through a similar scheme.

With the Warm Homes Fund, provided by Affordable Warmth Solutions and delivered in partnership with the local authority, we are able to install a central heating system in your home free of charge; supporting you throughout the process and helping you get the most out of your new heating system when it is in place.

* The project supports fully-funded connections of urban properties to gas.


How do I apply?

The application process couldn’t be easier – simply contact one of our friendly advisors by calling the number above. They will ask you a few questions about your property and personal circumstances to check if you are eligible for the scheme. The information you provide will complete your application form, so when it arrives in the post you can just check it’s all accurate, sign the back and pop it back in the freepost envelope along with any documents required as proof of eligibility.

Who is eligible?

We have a range of eligibility criteria based on personal circumstances and property. This includes if you are in receipt of certain means-tested benefits, or if you have a low income. If you are struggling to pay your bills or keep your home warm in winter, and don’t currently have a wet central heating system, there is a strong chance that you will be eligible. Please don’t assume that you won’t be eligible. Give us a call on 0800 677 1432 today, and our advisors will be able to help you based on your personal circumstances.

What happens next?

We will pass your contact details over to our partner installers who will aim to be in touch will you as soon as possible. They may need some information from you such as proof of ownership, landlord permission and/or benefits details. Once they have everything they need from you they will arrange a survey.

During the survey they will be able to answer any questions you have about the install, for example where the boiler and radiators will go. A few days after the survey, the installer will send us the information for our approval. At this point, as long as we have received your application form back and everything we need from the installer, we will give the go ahead for the work. They will contact you to arrange an install date which is convenient to you.

How much disruption will having central heating installed cause?

The install generally takes 2-3 working days to complete, although this can vary depending on the size of your property. You should expect some disruption and in some cases you may need to be prepared for some minor redecoration around the radiators.

I am a private tenant – can I apply for a system?

Yes the funding is available for both home owners and tenants. We will require permission from your landlord before any work takes place. Please have your landlord’s contact information with you when you call us.

I am a landlord, can I apply for a system for my let property?

To be eligible for funding you must live at the property. If you rent your property out, your tenant needs to contact us and the application will be in their name. The eligibility criteria are based on the tenants’ personal circumstances and a financial contribution from you as the landlord will be required to offset the cost of the installation. The amount of any landlord contribution will be determined before the work commences, and will depend on the type of property and heating system being installed.

I am a council tenant, can I apply for a system?

Each local authority or housing association has a different development schedule for council properties. If you are a council tenant, call us today to assess your eligibility and register your interest in free central heating. We regularly meet with our partners at Herefordshire Council, and by registering your interest with us, we can pass that on to the relevant departments at the council. In the meantime, we can give you advice on how to reduce your bills and increase your comfort at home, based on what you have already.

What if I am in a remote or rural location?

Some homes don’t have central heating installed because they are too far from a gas main to have standard gas central heating fitted. With the Warm Homes Fund scheme, this needn’t be a barrier to taking advantage of this opportunity.

Our team will work with you to identify the most suitable system for you and your home.

Always phone for up-to-date funding:

0800 677 1432

Our advice line is open from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm